Thursday, May 10, 2007

Sweet Potato Vine

Plants I Love (AKA Plants That Don't Die on Me)

Ipomoea batatas 'Blackie’ & Ipomoea batatas ‘Margarita’

Is anything more striking than dark purple plants and lime colored sweet potato vines covering a bed or flowing out of planters? Add pink begonias you have my favorite plant combo. The lime green vine brightens any corner and is pretty hard to kill. Large tubers make it pretty draught tolerant. I suppose they are edible, but I have ornamental varieties and I don’t image they’d taste very good. They are very easy to propagate. I cut off a vine and put it water on my windowsill. After a few days they have several roots developing. They are so pretty with cut flowers. Six small plants for a $2.50 filled my whole yard and they come back year after year.

Related Posts with Thumbnails